Friday, December 21, 2007

Bad Luck?

I am not a son of a millionaire. My birthday comes on 17th February and according to Nume-soft horoscope, 17th is my unlucky date. Is there a single person in this world whose birthday falls on one of his unlucky dates? I didn’t make it through IIT-JEE. It was a 10 year dream to be in IIT once. It broke in one second on 20-Jun-2003. It was the worst day of my life. Even after trying hard I cannot forget that. I never had a girlfriend. I liked one girl, who rejected me even before my proposing. All my friends played Holi in college & only I was punished. Even after working hardest in my class for my project I got least marks. I was expecting a re-appearance in my 7th semester. I barely managed to clear it. But while going for celebrating with my friends I met an accident & broke my knee. A fractured leg kept one and half month in plaster. How much painful it can be?
I never cheated on anyone. I am very ethical. So God! why only me? Why not any Ramesh, Mukesh, Sita, Monika. Why only I have all the bad luck written in my fate. I thought but couldn’t find an answer to this. People told me that bad times will end soon. But for me, bad times didn’t seem to end. For how much time can I maintain the spirit? I am not God. I am just an ordinary person.
I thought, thought again & then again. I thought in depth. Thought even more. Remember I was not wasting time - my leg was fractured. I couldn’t do anything other than thinking. I was not a good reader, and for how much time can one watch TV?
And then suddenly, a thought struck me. Was my luck really bad? Was I was the unluckiest person in this whole world. No. Not really. I have seen a hell lot of people much less privileged than myself. Thousands of my brothers & sisters born on the same 17th February who have never seen even a school - Is my luck worse than theirs? Do they even have enough money to get a Nume-soft horoscope? Even if they get one, do they have the ability to read & understand that? My father is not wealthy but he is a good person & for me, the best father in this world. A hundred and fifty thousand people failed with me in IIT-JEE 2003. Do they ever think that they were unlucky? Many of them didn’t even manage to get an institute of the reputation of my college. A major percentage of youngsters do not have a girlfriend. So I am in majority. (Remember India is democratic). Many people get a slap on the face by the girls they chase. At least I was not that unlucky. After that case of holi (refer first Para) I became famous in my college & was called a holiter.
After working day & night on my project my programming ability increased manifold. Earlier a 100 line code scared me. Now I was a web-services champ. Being bed-ridden for one month, I learnt how to spend the whole day in one room. How to walk only on one foot with the help of a walker. The girl that I liked called me once in a week. How much happy was I in pain. My other friends considered me lucky because they didn’t like to attend lectures at college. Later I even learnt to kick the bike with left foot. No one in my college could do that!
Hence, I concluded that I was not unlucky. The situations that I faced were a part of life. To maintain the spirit, I remembered the example of Lance Armstrong. I feel I don’t have to write about him here. I am a good person. People like my company. Irrespective of my success (or unsuccess), there are people who will remember moments spent with me for long. I will keep working hard wherever I am. These are my random thoughts that I wanted to write here.

3 comments:

Rekha said...

very natural rinku.....straight from the heart.....n u would surely b remembered not only for ur mishaps but for the good memories that you have given

Maverick said...

This was the best of all...

I tell u, u've turned into a good writer now...

May be this was possible because of that 1 month of bed rest and brain storming sessions u had with urself..

zubi said...

Hey man,that was gud writing.
Eventually i must say
"Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikander"
Enjoy!!!